Virginia wrongful death attorneys
The unexpected death of a loved one is always difficult, but the pain and grief intensify when the loss was caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness.
While no amount of money can bring your loved one back, a just wrongful death settlement or verdict can ease your anxiety about what the future holds for you and your family.
If you think you may have grounds for a wrongful death claim, please contact an experienced Virginia personal injury attorney to discuss your case. Our team at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys is made up of compassionate, knowledgeable professionals. We offer a free consultation, during which we’ll sit down with you and answer all your questions about wrongful death claims.
If you choose us to represent you, we’ll stick by your side until the end. We consider it a calling to help you recover your losses and make sure your future expenses are paid too. Call (804) 413-6777 today for a free meeting. We know this is a terrible time for you, and we will do everything possible to make it easier, and get you the fastest, fairest resolution possible.
When a death is the direct or indirect outcome of another person or company’s negligence or misconduct, surviving family members have the right to sue for compensation from the responsible party. We see wrongful death lawsuits commonly resulting from the following:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Construction and other workplace accidents
- Defective products
- Premises liability (swimming pool drownings, slip-and-falls, etc.)
- Farming accidents
Different states have different laws about who can bring a wrongful death claim against the responsible party. In the Commonwealth of Virginia, the following people can file a wrongful death claim:
- If the deceased person’s children are dead, the grandchildren
- If there is no spouse, children, or grandchildren, then parents, siblings, and other family members who were dependent on the deceased
- If the deceased had a spouse but no children, the spouse and the deceased person’s parents
- If the deceased person had none of the above, other family members who inherited the deceased’s estate
Depending on the circumstances, you and your family can seek compensation for the following damages:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical bills
- Loss of future income
- Loss of future benefits, such as medical benefits and retirement
- Loss of companionship, affection, guidance, comfort
- Loss of household services the deceased performed, such as bookkeeping, childcare, vehicle and property maintenance, etc.
In Virginia, a wrongful death claim must be filed within two years of the date of death in most cases.
When you file a wrongful death claim through GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys, you pay no retainer fees, upfront costs, or out-of-pocket expenses. We handle cases on a contingency basis. We only get paid if we get you compensation that you’re satisfied with. You have nothing to lose, and much to gain.
Wrongful death claims can be complex - they’re likely the last thing you want to deal with while you’re grieving. Let our team at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys take care of your legal issues while you and your family get better. We handle many of these cases and know how to gather and present evidence to insurers and third parties to obtain the true value of your case, and to protect your financial future.
We at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys sincerely hope you never need our services for a wrongful death. But in the unfortunate event that you do, don’t hesitate to call us at (804) 413-6777. As former U.S. Marines, we will not hesitate to fight aggressively for your best interests.
Recent Wrongful Death Case Results
DISCLAIMER. Each case is handled based on the individual facts and circumstances of the case. These results are NOT indicative of the outcome of any potential case. All case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case, and these case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by our firm.
- $600,000 Compensation - Man was killed in a drunk driving crash and wife sustained injuries in the accident.
- $500,000 Compensation - Woman was killed in a head-on accident with a drowsy driver.
- $275,000 Compensation - Woman was killed by another driver after exiting her car after an accident.
See more case results here.
It costs you nothing for our firm to represent you. We only get paid when you do. Learn more
Prevention, empathy, and diligence are hallmarks of everything we do at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. Our community can see these ideals lived out in our work to prevent personal injuries from happening.
- Safety Education
GibsonSingleton launches “Texts=Wrecks” campaign to reduce the number of people injured or killed by distracted drivers.
- Annual Coat Drive
During the fall, our team works to distribute coats to people in need in our community.
- Hands-on Service
John and Ken join the Gloucester Point Rotary Club in cleaning up the community.
- Supporting Local Schools
The Gibson family participates in Gloucester’s Botetourt Elementary Shuffle fundraiser.