Spinal cord injury attorney in Virginia
Every year, 17,000 new cases of spinal cord injury (SCI) are reported in the United States. (Source: National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center) But 17,000 is just the tip of the iceberg of how many people are affected, because SCIs affect a victim’s entire family.
If you’ve suffered a spinal cord injury, or have a loved one who has, you know it’s life-altering and overwhelmingly expensive. If someone else caused the SCI, you may be eligible for significant compensation from the responsible party’s insurance company.
To secure your family’s future, talk to the experienced personal injury lawyers at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. John Singleton and Ken Gibson are former U.S. Marines, and if we take your case, our team will tackle any obstacle, no matter how difficult. Call (804) 413-6777 for a free case evaluation.
The lifetime cost of an SCI depends on the severity of the injury. Let’s look at what the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation estimates the lifetime costs of an SCI to be for survivors of similar ages:
If you are 25:
- High tetraplegia - an injury between the first cervical vertebra and fourth cervical vertebra, which causes partial or total paralysis of all four limbs, leaving you unable to breathe without assistance. This injury will cost $4,724,181.
- Low tetraplegia - an injury between your fifth and eighth cervical vertebra, which causes partial or total paralysis of all four limbs, but you can breathe on your own. This will cost $3,451,781.
- Paraplegia - partial or total paralysis in your lower body and legs. This will cost $2,310,104.
- Any loss of body function will cost $1,578,274.
If you are 50:
- High tetraplegia will cost $2,596,329.
- Low tetraplegia will cost $2,123,154.
- Paraplegia will cost $1,516,052.
- Any loss of body function will cost $1,113,990.
Note that these are just estimates, and they don’t include indirect costs, such as lost wages, benefits, productivity, and more. These indirect costs average $71,961 a year.
The dollar amounts above relate to the costs of day-to-day care, not the other losses an SCI victim might suffer. The good news is that you can seek these losses in a personal injury claim, as well as money for your daily expenses:
- Medical bills from the initial injury
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of future income
- Loss of income for a family member who has to quit a job to care for you
- Loss of future benefits, such as medical care, retirement, etc.
- Loss of household services you previously performed, such as property maintenance, childcare, etc.
- Cost of necessary household and vehicle modifications, such as wheelchair ramps, lifts, etc.
That depends. Any party whose negligent actions or inactions caused – or allowed -- your injury can be held liable.
This could include the driver of a truck that crashed into you, the manager of a store who didn’t post a warning sign over a wet floor, the manufacturer of a defective product (like a seatbelt that malfunctions when you needed it most), or a municipality that was supposed to maintain a dangerous roadway.
After an injury as serious as an SCI, you’ll be dealing with the responsible party’s insurance company. Maybe more than one insurance company, if multiple parties contributed to the accident.
Insurance companies have resources that the average family does not have. But we do. GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys will do an investigation, work with expert witnesses, determine how much compensation to ask for on your behalf, and take your case to trial if necessary to get you justice.
If you’ve suffered a spinal cord injury, you are looking at an uphill battle. By choosing GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys, you’ll get compassionate, experienced representation at no upfront cost to you. We work on a contingency basis, meaning we only get paid if we’re successful in your claim. Please call (804) 413-6777 for your free consultation today.
It costs you nothing for our firm to represent you. We only get paid when you do. Learn more
Prevention, empathy, and diligence are hallmarks of everything we do at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. Our community can see these ideals lived out in our work to prevent personal injuries from happening.
- Safety Education
GibsonSingleton launches “Texts=Wrecks” campaign to reduce the number of people injured or killed by distracted drivers.
- Annual Coat Drive
During the fall, our team works to distribute coats to people in need in our community.
- Hands-on Service
John and Ken join the Gloucester Point Rotary Club in cleaning up the community.
- Supporting Local Schools
The Gibson family participates in Gloucester’s Botetourt Elementary Shuffle fundraiser.