Virginia premises liability lawyers
Expert help when you are injured
"Premises liability" claims are filed for accidents and injuries caused by a property owner’s negligence. Landowners and property managers have a legal duty of care to people they invite or permit onto their property. When someone is hurt on another person’s property, that property owner may be held responsible if the duty of care was breached.
At GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys, we represent people who have been injured on someone else’s property. If you believe you may have a premises liability claim, call us to schedule a free consultation today.
What are the most common premises liability incidents?
Any injury that occurs on someone else’s property may lead to a valid premises liability claim if the property owner was negligent. Common premises accidents include the following scenarios:
- Slip-and-fall accidents on wet or slippery floors or icy walks
- Trip-and-fall accidents caused by uneven walking surfaces, wrinkled carpet, poor lighting, or clutter
- Assaults resulting from failure to provide adequate security
- Swimming pool accidents
- Elevator accidents
- Dog bites
What is a property owner’s duty of care?
The duty of care that property owners owe to guests depends upon the relationship between the guest and the property owner. In general, the property owner has a duty to maintain the property in a reasonably safe condition, and to warn visitor of any dangers. For trespassers, there is a lesser standard of care, but landowners are not allowed to injure anyone intentionally or create hazards through active negligence.
How do I prove a premises liability claim?
In Virginia, to recover compensation in a premises liability claim, your attorneys must prove the following:
- The property owner owed a duty of care to the injured person.
- The duty of care was breached by some action or inaction.
- The property owner was negligent by failing to fix the hazard.
- The property owner knew or should have known that the hazard existed.
Get free advice from premises liability attorneys today
Our Eastern Virginia injury attorneys are passionate about helping clients through difficult times. At GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys, we fight to protect your rights, both outside and inside the courtroom. We handle cases on a contingency basis – we are not paid unless we win your case for you. Contact us or call us at (804) 413-6777 or toll-free (855) 781-6777 for help after a slip-and-fall accident, dog bite, or other type of premises liability case.
Recent Premises Liability Case Results
- $32,500 Compensation - Woman suffered injuries escaping a house fire.
See more case results here.
- Some falls shouldn’t happen: Is your loved one’s nursing home safe enough?
- Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC)
- Virginia Building and Fire Codes
- Water-Related Injuries - CDC
It costs you nothing for our firm to represent you. We only get paid when you do. Learn more
Prevention, empathy, and diligence are hallmarks of everything we do at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. Our community can see these ideals lived out in our work to prevent personal injuries from happening.
- Safety Education
GibsonSingleton launches “Texts=Wrecks” campaign to reduce the number of people injured or killed by distracted drivers.
- Annual Coat Drive
During the fall, our team works to distribute coats to people in need in our community.
- Hands-on Service
John and Ken join the Gloucester Point Rotary Club in cleaning up the community.
- Supporting Local Schools
The Gibson family participates in Gloucester’s Botetourt Elementary Shuffle fundraiser.