Virginia premises liability lawyers
"Premises liability" claims are filed for accidents and injuries caused by a property owner’s negligence. Landowners and property managers have a legal duty of care to people they invite or permit onto their property. When someone is hurt on another person’s property, that property owner may be held responsible if the duty of care was breached.
At GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys, we represent people who have been injured on someone else’s property. If you believe you may have a premises liability claim, call us to schedule a free consultation today.
Any injury that occurs on someone else’s property may lead to a valid premises liability claim if the property owner was negligent. Common premises accidents include the following scenarios:
- Slip-and-fall accidents on wet or slippery floors or icy walks
- Trip-and-fall accidents caused by uneven walking surfaces, wrinkled carpet, poor lighting, or clutter
- Assaults resulting from failure to provide adequate security
- Swimming pool accidents
- Elevator accidents
- Dog bites
The duty of care that property owners owe to guests depends upon the relationship between the guest and the property owner. In general, the property owner has a duty to maintain the property in a reasonably safe condition, and to warn visitor of any dangers. For trespassers, there is a lesser standard of care, but landowners are not allowed to injure anyone intentionally or create hazards through active negligence.
In Virginia, to recover compensation in a premises liability claim, your attorneys must prove the following:
- The property owner owed a duty of care to the injured person.
- The duty of care was breached by some action or inaction.
- The property owner was negligent by failing to fix the hazard.
- The property owner knew or should have known that the hazard existed.
Our Eastern Virginia injury attorneys are passionate about helping clients through difficult times. At GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys, we fight to protect your rights, both outside and inside the courtroom. We handle cases on a contingency basis – we are not paid unless we win your case for you. Contact us or call us at (804) 413-6777 or toll-free (855) 781-6777 to discuss your best legal options after a slip-and-fall accident, dog bite, or other type of premises liability case.
Recent Premises Liability Case Results
DISCLAIMER. Each case is handled based on the individual facts and circumstances of the case. These results are NOT indicative of the outcome of any potential case. All case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case, and these case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by our firm.
- $150,000 compensation - Woman suffered a broken leg when she tripped in a retail store.
- $130,000 compensation - Woman suffered a shoulder injury when she tripped in a department store.
- $100,000 Compensation - Man was burned in a fire pit accident on someone's property.
- $32,500 Compensation - Woman suffered injuries escaping a house fire.
See more case results here.
It costs you nothing for our firm to represent you. We only get paid when you do. Learn more
Prevention, empathy, and diligence are hallmarks of everything we do at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. Our community can see these ideals lived out in our work to prevent personal injuries from happening.
- Safety Education
GibsonSingleton launches “Texts=Wrecks” campaign to reduce the number of people injured or killed by distracted drivers.
- Annual Coat Drive
During the fall, our team works to distribute coats to people in need in our community.
- Hands-on Service
John and Ken join the Gloucester Point Rotary Club in cleaning up the community.
- Supporting Local Schools
The Gibson family participates in Gloucester’s Botetourt Elementary Shuffle fundraiser.