Virginia premises liability lawyers
Premises liability claims are filed for accidents and injuries caused by a property owner’s negligence. When someone is injured on another person’s property, the property owner can be held responsible if the duty of care has been breached.
At GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys, we represent people who have been injured in premises liability accidents. We are known for our excellence, compassion, and successful track record.
You won’t owe us anything unless we win your case. We call it our Zero Fee Guarantee. To learn more, give us a call at (804) 413-6777 or toll-free at (855) 781-6777 and schedule a free consultation today.
In Virginia, to recover compensation in a premises liability claim, your lawyer must prove the following:
- The property owner owed a duty of care to the injured person.
- The duty of care was breached by some action or inaction.
- The property owner was negligent by failing to fix the hazard.
- The property owner knew or should have known that the hazard existed.
GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys will conduct a thorough investigation to determine who is responsible for your injuries. Liable parties may include property owners, employees, and managers who failed to take necessary precautions to prevent an accident.
Our Virginia personal injury lawyers will build a strong case by interviewing witnesses, collecting documents, and reviewing your accident report. We’ll review company records to find out if the negligent party received any complaints about the dangerous situation before your accident happened. When our investigation is complete, GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys will file a claim or a lawsuit against anyone whose negligent actions contributed to your injuries.
Any injury that happened on someone else’s property may lead to a premises liability claim if the property owner was negligent. Common premises liability accidents include:
- Slip-and-fall accidents may happen due to wet or slippery floors, icy and snowy sidewalks, uneven surfaces, wrinkled carpets, and cluttered walkways.
- Swimming pool accidents can result in a tragic drowning or near-drowning injuries. These incidents often involve children. Pool owners in Virginia are required to install barriers at least 48 inches high with self-closing and self-latching gates.
- Dog bites. Dog owners in Virginia are required to make sure dogs stay on their property and follow local leash laws.
- Negligent security may result in assault and battery when businesses fail to hire enough security guards or don’t provide employees with the proper training to do provide security correctly.
- Collapsed ceilings may occur during construction or as a result of shoddy construction practices, leading to catastrophic injuries and fatalities.
- Stairway falls are caused by loose handrails and uneven or broken stairs.
- Toxic exposure. Airborne toxins cause breathing difficulty, cancer, birth defects, respiratory illnesses, heart disease, and other harmful medical conditions.
- Elevator accidents often cause fatalities or severe injuries that may include amputation. Negligent manufacturers, repair people, and inspectors may be held liable for elevator injuries.
- Escalator accidents. If escalators aren’t properly maintained, they can cause severe injuries when a rider’s clothes, shoes, or even a body part gets stuck in the mechanism and drags the victim down.
Premises liability accidents can cause chronic pain and disabilities. For example, dog attack victims may suffer scarring, severe injuries, and emotional trauma. Slip-and-fall injuries may result in bone fractures, head injuries, broken hips, or even fatalities. A child who experiences a near-drowning may suffer brain damage or severe physical impairment.
Injuries caused by premises liability include:
- Loss of limb
- Broken bones
- Organ failure
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Neck and back injuries
- Severe burns
- Soft tissue injuries
- Nerve damage
- Electric shock
Premises liability can happen to guests, employees, renters, or visitors on someone else’s property. Property owners are required to eliminate hazards that may cause reasonably foreseeable harm to others. Landlords, private businesses, and property owners in Virginia must maintain their property so it’s safe for guests, and they are required to warn people about any unsafe conditions.
Places where premises liability accidents can happen include:
- Parks with defective playground equipment, sharp edges, or lack of padding around climbing equipment
- Apartment complexes with leaky pipes, broken walkways, gas leaks, and other hazards
- Airbnbs, hotels, and motels that fail to install anti-slip shower mats, bath safety bars, and decals to prevent guests from walking into sliding glass doors
- Restaurants and bars that don’t provide adequate security or fail to remove hazards
- Grocery or other retail stores that don’t clean up spills in a timely manner or fail to post warning signs on wet floors after mopping
- Amusement parks with unsafe and poorly maintained rides, poorly trained staff, and tripping hazards
- Parking garages with insufficient lighting, lack of traffic signs and markings, and confusing directions
At GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys, we can determine the extent of your injuries and file a claim or lawsuit to help recover the resources you need to care for yourself and your family. Damages for a premises liability accident may include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Time missed from work
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Reduced quality of life
- In-home nursing care
- Wheelchair ramps for your home
- Medical devices
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced earning capacity
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Wrongful death
At GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys, we’ve dedicated our law firm to helping our friends and neighbors get justice after they’ve suffered a senseless accident. One of our mottoes is “big city experience, small town care.” Both of our partners, John Singleton and Ken Gibson, have been injured in preventable accidents, so we have empathy for what you and your loved ones are going through.
Give us a call at (804) 413-6777 or toll-free at (855) 781-6777 to learn more today.
Recent Premises Liability Case Results
DISCLAIMER. Each case is handled based on the individual facts and circumstances of the case. These results are NOT indicative of the outcome of any potential case. All case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case, and these case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by our firm.
- $200,000 Compensation - Woman fractured her hip and wrist when she slipped and fell on the floor of a recreation center.
- $150,000 Compensation - Woman suffered a broken leg when she tripped in a retail store.
- $143,000 Compensation - Man fractured both ankles when he fell due to a pothole in an access road.
- $130,000 Compensation - Woman suffered a shoulder injury when she tripped in a department store.
- $100,000 Compensation - Man was burned in a fire pit accident on someone's property.
See more case results here.
It costs you nothing for our firm to represent you. We only get paid when you do. Learn more
Prevention, empathy, and diligence are hallmarks of everything we do at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. Our community can see these ideals lived out in our work to prevent personal injuries from happening.
- Safety Education
GibsonSingleton launches “Texts=Wrecks” campaign to reduce the number of people injured or killed by distracted drivers.
- Annual Coat Drive
During the fall, our team works to distribute coats to people in need in our community.
- Hands-on Service
John and Ken join the Gloucester Point Rotary Club in cleaning up the community.
- Supporting Local Schools
The Gibson family participates in Gloucester’s Botetourt Elementary Shuffle fundraiser.