York County car accident attorneys
Experienced representation for York County car accident victims
With so many people relying on vehicles to go about their daily lives, car accidents have become a common occurrence statewide. In York County alone, we had 1,020 traffic crashes, causing nine fatalities and 488 injuries in a recent year, according to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Statewide the same year, we had more than 128,000 motor vehicle accidents, over 800 traffic deaths, and nearly 66,000 injuries.
How do car accidents happen in York County?
Many York County car accidents are caused by driver negligence. Drivers can be negligent in many ways, including:
- Driving distracted: This could involve texting, talking on a cell phone, checking social media, eating, drinking, grooming, talking to passengers, or doing anything else that pulls the driver’s attention away from operating the vehicle on the road ahead.
- Driving impaired: Whether a driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, impaired driving is extremely dangerous to others on the roadway. Every day, nearly 30 people in the United States are killed in drunk driving crashes, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Speeding: The faster a vehicle is traveling, the more time and distance it needs to stop. Speeding killed nearly 9,500 people nationwide in a recent year, according to the (NHTSA).
- Driving aggressively: This growing behavior puts everyone on the roadway at risk. In addition to driving at unsafe speeds, aggressive drivers may weave in and out of traffic, cut other drivers off, ignore traffic signs and signals, and generally make it dangerous for others to be on the road.
- Driving fatigued: Many people today do not get enough sleep. Fatigue can impair a driver’s performance, judgment, and ability to respond quickly to driving situations, leading to car accidents.
What types of compensation can be recovered in a car accident claim?
If you have been hurt in a car accident (including as a pedestrian) caused by another driver’s negligence, you can recover for two types of losses under Virginia law – economic and non-economic. Economic losses are those that can be assigned a specific dollar amount, such as past and future medical expenses, past lost income, and loss of future income. Non-economic losses do not have a set monetary value. Examples include pain and suffering, emotional distress, inconvenience, mental anguish, or loss of abilities to do important things. There are no caps on the compensation you can recover for most cases in Virginia.
How do you get compensation for a car accident?
In a typical York County car accident case, you file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company to recover compensation for your losses. But insurance companies are in business for profit and do not have your best interests at heart. Their goal is to collect more in premiums and pay out less in claims. An experienced York County personal injury lawyer can:
- Thoroughly investigate your accident to determine fault and liability
- Secure and preserve evidence to support your claim
- Calculate the full extent of your losses (economic and non-economic)
- Negotiate skillfully with insurance companies for a fair settlement on your behalf
- Fight for your rights in court, if necessary
Legal counsel for injured people in York County
At GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys, we consider it a calling to help people who are hurt. Prevention, empathy, and diligence are the hallmarks of everything we do. You will always be treated as our neighbor, not a number. We can advocate effectively with insurance companies for you, taking your case to trial if necessary to recover full compensation. After a serious car, truck, or motorcycle accident in York County, call us at (804) 413-6777 or toll-free at (855) 781-6777 to schedule a free consultation. You pay us no fees until we get compensation for you.
Call our Eastern Virginia office today for a free consultation
at (804) 413-6777 or toll free (855) 781-6777.
It costs you nothing for our firm to represent you. We only get paid when you do. Learn more
Prevention, empathy, and diligence are hallmarks of everything we do at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. Our community can see these ideals lived out in our work to prevent personal injuries from happening.
- Safety Education
GibsonSingleton launches “Texts=Wrecks” campaign to reduce the number of people injured or killed by distracted drivers.
- Annual Coat Drive
During the fall, our team works to distribute coats to people in need in our community.
- Hands-on Service
John and Ken join the Gloucester Point Rotary Club in cleaning up the community.
- Supporting Local Schools
The Gibson family participates in Gloucester’s Botetourt Elementary Shuffle fundraiser.