GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys announces 2021 scholarship
By Beth Gibson, Director of Community Outreach
We at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys are once again offering our Texts=Wrecks Scholarship for 2021. The past year has been difficult, but we know that the youth of today are working harder than ever to help make the world a better place.
Distracted driving was responsible for 80% of auto collisions in 2019, according to Drive Smart. Cellphones were the No. 1 culprit, especially using them to text. A countless number of people have already been killed or injured seriously in the United States alone by drivers who were texting.
We believe that the youth of our country can and will lead the charge to eliminate texting while driving.
How do I apply?
1. First, find out if you qualify. You must:
- Be a high school senior on track to graduate OR a college student enrolled in an accredited four-year university or college or enrolled in a two-year college and planning to transfer to a four-year university/college upon completion.
- Have earned, or will earn, your high school diploma in 2021.
- Have maintained a 3.0 or higher GPA.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or hold Permanent Residency status. DACA recipients are welcome to apply
2. Second, if you qualify, you can get started on your short essay. It should be 500-1,000 words and answer the following question:
When you go to college, you’re moving from the passenger seat of life into the driver’s seat. Now, you’ll be making your own choices, both good and bad. At GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys, we’re passionate about preventing senseless accidents by encouraging people to make good choices—like choosing not to drive distracted, and choosing not to drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs. How are you going to take what you’ve learned so far in life to make these types of decisions now that you’re an adult? How will you, or how have you already, encouraged others to make wise choices as well, especially about their driving?
3. Third, after you have written and proofread your incredible essay, fill out the application form, and send the form and essay in to us by May 4, 2021. After we’ve received all the applications, we will select our favorites. Finalists will be announced on May 18, 2021, and we will announce our winner on June 1, 2021. The winner will receive $1,000 for their post-secondary education.
For further updates on this scholarship and our other campaigns, check our blog and our Facebook page. For inspiration for your essay, you can read the essays of past winners. We wish all applicants good luck! We can’t wait to read your essays and hear your stories.
Share This Page:
Call our Eastern Virginia office today for a free consultation
at (804) 413-6777 or toll free (855) 781-6777.
It costs you nothing for our firm to represent you. We only get paid when you do. Learn more
Prevention, empathy, and diligence are hallmarks of everything we do at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. Our community can see these ideals lived out in our work to prevent personal injuries from happening.
- Safety Education
GibsonSingleton launches a “Texts=Wrecks” campaign to reduce the number of people injured or killed by distracted drivers.
- Annual Coat Drive
During the fall, our team works to distribute coats to people in need in our community.
- Hands-on Service
John and Ken join the Gloucester Point Rotary Club in cleaning up the community.
- Supporting Local Schools
The Gibson family participates in Gloucester’s Botetourt Elementary Shuffle fundraiser.