Which insurance benefit could save the day if you’re in a wreck?
A type of coverage that can be on your auto policy is “Medical Payments Coverage,” or “Medpay.” If you are in a wreck, this benefit pays for your medical bills, regardless of who caused the wreck, or whether you have other health insurance.
The best part is: it may already be on your policy, or available at little or no extra cost.
If you have Medpay:
- Your insurance company is required to pay up to the limits shown on your insurance policy’s “Declaration Page” next to “Medical Expense Benefits,” or a similar heading.
- If you are injured in a car, truck, motorcycle or boat wreck (again, it does not matter who caused the wreck), you can send your medical bills and supporting records that show the treatment was wreck-related to your insurance company, and it will reimburse you for the actual costs of treatment.
- Often the reimbursement is in addition to your own health insurance coverage. Medpay is particularly helpful for an injured person who does not have health insurance, or for those with high-deductible plans.
So what should you do?
- Get out your policy now, and look at the “Declarations page” to see if you have Medpay.“Declarations” is the page that shows how much your policy costs (your premium) and the limits of your coverage. Determine if you have Medpay, and if the limit would be enough if you were in a serious wreck, also taking into account your current health care insurance.
- If you cannot decipher your policy, call your insurance agent and ask questions until you fully understand the coverage you have. Or you are welcome to bring your policy by GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. We will review it at no cost and let you know where we think you may be over- or under-insured. (Simply call first to make an appointment.)
Note: If you are injured and you do have health insurance, always have your medical providers bill your health insurance company first, not your auto insurance company. That’s because health insurance coverage offers the better discounts for the costs of treatment.
Then, save the “how to best use your Medpay benefit” conversation for your first meeting with GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. We will help you make the right decisions for you and your family.
Share This Page:
It costs you nothing for our firm to represent you. We only get paid when you do. Learn more
Prevention, empathy, and diligence are hallmarks of everything we do at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. Our community can see these ideals lived out in our work to prevent personal injuries from happening.
- Safety Education
GibsonSingleton launches a “Texts=Wrecks” campaign to reduce the number of people injured or killed by distracted drivers.
- Annual Coat Drive
During the fall, our team works to distribute coats to people in need in our community.
- Hands-on Service
John and Ken join the Gloucester Point Rotary Club in cleaning up the community.
- Supporting Local Schools
The Gibson family participates in Gloucester’s Botetourt Elementary Shuffle fundraiser.