Vehicle rollover injury lawyers in Virginia
One particularly dangerous type of motor vehicle accident is the rollover wreck. While rollovers are fairly rare, they often result in more severe injuries than other types of accidents, and they have a higher fatality rate.
Of the approximately 9 million car, pickup truck, van, and SUV accidents that happened in a sample year, only 2 percent were rollovers, according to nhtsa.gov. However, that same year, rollover accidents accounted for more than 35 percent of all passenger vehicle fatalities. That means rollovers resulted in more than 7,600 deaths in just one year.
If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in a rollover accident in Eastern Virginia, and you suspect it was caused by the negligence of another person, contact the experienced legal team at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. Call our Gloucester office at (804) 413-6777 for a free case evaluation. We will go over what happened and see if you’re eligible for compensation.
Several factors can contribute to rollover crashes, including:
- Type of vehicle: Motor vehicles with higher centers of gravity roll over more often. This means SUVs roll over the most, followed by pickup trucks and vans. Passenger cars are the least likely to roll over.
- Defective or improperly inflated tires: Tires that are underinflated or otherwise defective can cause a vehicle to become unstable and roll, especially if the vehicle hits an obstacle.
- Being hit by another vehicle: Collisions, especially intersection collisions of the T-bone type, can cause the struck vehicle to roll over.
- Speeding: 40 percent of all fatal rollover accidents involved excessive speed. These rollovers often happen when drivers attempt a turn that is too sharp or extreme for the speeds they are traveling.
- Alcohol or drugs: Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs and driving is never a good idea, so it’s not surprising that nearly half of all fatal rollover accidents involve someone driving under the influence. Alcohol and drugs impair a driver’s judgment and increase the likelihood he or she will perform an unsafe maneuver.
- Road conditions/objects in the road: Road conditions, like potholes, loose gravel, and uneven surfaces, can all contribute to rollover accidents. That’s why most rollover accidents happen on rural roads.
∗Going off-road can also cause a rollover. A vehicle that veers off the road can hit an object like a tree trunk and turn over. There have also been cases where a vehicle has slid up on a guardrail and tipped over.
Several different people may be held liable for a victim’s medical bills and other costs because of a rollover accident, including:
- The driver of the vehicle you were riding in
- The driver of the vehicle that hit you
- The manufacturer of the vehicle or a part of the vehicle if it was defective
- The government in charge of designing, building, or maintaining the road where the accident occurred, if the road was defective
If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in a Gloucester rollover accident, our experienced Virginia car accident lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve. At GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys, we have a no-fee guarantee, meaning don’t pay unless we recover money for you. Call us for a free consultation today at (804) 413-6777.
- Is your dream car the best option for you?
- Rollover Research - NHTSA
- Epidemiology, Causes and Prevention of Car Rollover Crashes with Ejection
- Rollover Fatality Facts - IIHS
It costs you nothing for our firm to represent you. We only get paid when you do. Learn more
Prevention, empathy, and diligence are hallmarks of everything we do at GibsonSingleton Virginia Injury Attorneys. Our community can see these ideals lived out in our work to prevent personal injuries from happening.
- Safety Education
GibsonSingleton launches “Texts=Wrecks” campaign to reduce the number of people injured or killed by distracted drivers.
- Annual Coat Drive
During the fall, our team works to distribute coats to people in need in our community.
- Hands-on Service
John and Ken join the Gloucester Point Rotary Club in cleaning up the community.
- Supporting Local Schools
The Gibson family participates in Gloucester’s Botetourt Elementary Shuffle fundraiser.